torstai 22. helmikuuta 2018

ONE MONTH LEFT


In the last four weeks I have had training in three different placements. The last week of January I ended my first training at the Red Cross Health Center. I spent four weeks there together with amazing nurses and joyful children (until they were vaccinated). After studying nursing with families, children and adolescents, it was nice to see the realization of the theory in action.

My next placement was a week in the Red Cross Home Care. For us as students, the days were really short. Usually we left to visit the first patient around 8 o’clock but sometimes not until 10 am, and we would be back at approximately 12. Most of the patients were elderly with pressure ulcers, stomas or nasogastric tubes and sometimes all the nurse did was take blood samples. Usually we had to just watch from the side but if we were lucky we got to assist while treating ulcers or removing stitches.

Last week I started my training at the Evaggelismos General Hospital. I have been told that it is the oldest and biggest hospital in Greece. Tomorrow is my last day at the neurosurgical department. I have spent most of my days with a nurse who doesn’t speak English, so it has been a little bit difficult to communicate. However, I feel like I have been able to do quite a lot, at least compared to the last two placements.

Every day we start the first round at 8. We (as in me or the guiding nurse) take blood samples, measure the blood pressure and the blood sugar, change or remove cannulas and we give the patients either oral, inhalable or intravenous medication. There has been a couple of patients with tracheostomies that needs suction and cleaning, but I haven’t been able to take part of that. After the first round I usually prepare some intravenous drops by adding either NaCl, KCl, Mg or a mixture of these. At twelve we go for rounds again but usually at this point we only give the patients different kind of medication.

Last Friday I was supposed to observe a neurological surgery but unfortunately the operation was postponed. Instead I got to observe a thorax surgery where they removed a tumor. I was sure I would start feeling weak but surprisingly that didn’t happen even though I was standing for almost four hours straight. What surprised me the most was how roughly they deal with the tissues and organs. The surgeon pushed his hand between the ribs and pushed the lunges out of the way. No one spoke English to me, so I can’t say for sure, but I think the operation was successful. At least the surgeon cheerfully sang while sewing the stiches. If I’m lucky, I’ll get to observe another surgery tomorrow but I don’t want to get my hopes up.

On Monday I will have my first day in the intensive care unit where I will spend nine days. The last seven days of my training will be in the emergency room. Everyone is telling me horror stories about the emergency room, they say it could be compared to a war zone. So I’m more nervous than excited about that, but we will see how it goes and I will tell you about it later.

Before I head to the gym I’ll tell you a little about my spare time. Many people might think that exchange students only party and drink all the time but that, at least, is not the case for me. I have been “clubbing” two times during my seven weeks here and don’t get me wrong, it has been really fun, but I just hate that it ruins the next day. The night club area here is called Gazi and it is in Kerameikos.

I prefer to spend my time exploring new places, shopping and eating dinner with friends. One day we went to the Mall Athens, a big shopping centre in Marousi. In addition to the stores, it also has a movie theater and many different coffee shops and restaurants. We went to see Fifty Shades Freed and it was only 7,50 € which is cheap compared to the prices in Finland!

Last weekend we were supposed take a bus to Patras and enjoy the carnival but we didn’t make it. Secretly, I was a bit relieved because I was quite anxious of the large number of people taking part of it. Now, this weekend we are going for a road trip to Kalampaka to visit the famous Meteora, a rock formation hosting a large monastery. I believe it is included on the UNESCO world heritage list.

For the following weekends we have planned to take a ferry to one of the Greek Islands nearby and to visit Sofia, Bulgaria for two nights. After that I will have one week left in Greece and instead of practical training I will spend the week as a Athens guide for my three Finnish friends who are coming to visit me




Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti