sunnuntai 21. tammikuuta 2018

Earthquakes and Strikes

This week was a little more dramatic than the last one. On Monday the public transportation was on strike so I had to walk to The Red Cross Health Center where I'm having my practical training. It took a good hour to walk, but luckily it was a nice day weather-wise. When I arrived, everyone asked me why I had come - they weren't expecting me to come because of the strike. And of course as I had predicted, there weren't any patients either because of the lack of public transportation. So maybe I should have stayed home at the apartment after all...
Walking home from the Evangelismos metro station
Later that day when I was lying in my bed trying to go to sleep I suddenly felt my bed moving back and forward like a wave and I saw all my stuff moving. I took me a moment to realize that it was an earthquake. It only lasted for a few seconds but for me it was quite dramatic because it was something I had never experienced before and I didn't know what to do. For a short period of time I even thought I had imagined the whole situtation, but then I heard my flatmates wondering about the same thing. In general, Greek is prone to earthquakes so it is not something to worry about. I checked the news and it said not to be concerned. 
The Panathenaic Stadium
Otherwise the week was pretty much normal. It was my second week at the practical training but I didn't get too do anything more than last week. I talked with my supervisor about what students are allowed to do at this point of the studies and the answer was a bit depressing. In Finland we get to do a lot more! I hope it will be different at the hospital where I'm having my second training.
The pediatrician's examination room
Yesterday I met with another Greek nurse student. We walked around in the center and stopped for some cola zero and a cold chocolate drink in one of the most beautiful spots in Athens (of what I've seen). It is a shame that the two wonderful local students I have met are leaving to Estonia in a couple of weeks, but maybe I'll see them later in the spring if they come visit Finland during their exchange!
Prophet Elias Church 
I'm looking forward to next week because on Friday I finally get some Finnish company when my new friend Essi arrives to Athens for her Erasmus period. On Saturday I think I'll drag her to the night life of Athens to celebrate my 22 year birthday and hopefully my new nurse buddies will join us as well :-)




Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti