lauantai 6. tammikuuta 2018

The Application Process

This may not interest you if you are here for pictures and greetings from Athens – this is all about the things I had to take care of before travelling.

The whole idea of going on an exchange had been in my mind since high school but I was told it was easier and cheaper doing it when studying at a university. When I heard there was going to be an info session I had no second thoughts about attending. I got a lot of useful information, but it was still a long time to the actual application period.

I had good time to figure out where I wanted to travel. My first thought was Norway, because I have family there and I have been thinking of working there in the future. Then when I found out that they didn’t have any cooperation with Bergen’s University in my study field I started thinking of other options.

My next option was quite the opposite; Thailand. And to be honest I was really excited about that. After filling out the application form and attaching my transcript of records, CV and motivation letter I waited quite some time before an answer. I got accepted but unfortunately my school (Turku AMK) and the receiving school (Rangsit University) had some time schedule difficulties – so again I started to consider other options.

Another difficulty with Thailand (or travelling outside Europe) was that my Norwegian citizenship didn’t allow me to get the grant from my school. I found that really unfair given the fact that I have lived in Finland from 2005 and if I were to apply for a dual nationality I would lose my Norwegian one because they don’t accept two nationalities in my case. I actually took this up with the one of the international coordinators at Turku AMK and got them to reconsider the whole rule. I’m proud to say that they promised to change the rule so that also people with another nationality can get the grant. Of course, to me it didn’t matter anymore but for somebody else it might.

I told my international coordinator that I would like to travel to Greece and she maid it happen. I changed some details from my application, filled in and signed the learning agreement and waited for further information. I had only approximately a month to get all the necessary stuff done.

I had already been to the doctor’s to get a health certification and I had also taken the A-hepatitis vaccination (thinking I was travelling to Thailand). In this field they also require a certificate that shows you have gotten all the B-hepatitis shots which we get from our school’s health system for free. I also made sure that I hade a good enough health insurance.

It took some time before I got to know the dates of my practical trainings. I booked my flights almost immediately after finding out. Then I started apartment hunting and I had no clue what to do or where to seek from. I googled and asked some people and  most of the people recommended Air bnb. It seemed fine and I found a lovely apartment, but I had problems with the payments. I only had a couple of weeks left when I found an apartment from Facebook in a group called Erasmus Accommodation Athens. The one I rent from was kind enough to offer a ride from the airport as well, all though, I did pay for it. But it was cheaper than e.g. a taxi. More about the apartment in another post.

Last minute things I did was applying for financial aids from KELA and getting the European health card. I took copies of all important documents and I got six passport photos taken. I also thought I made sure that I had a proper mobile subscription before leaving, but that didn’t go as planned. Luckily my dad helped me from Finland by taking care of my subscription related affairs for me. <3

I actually moved out of my apartment in Finland before leaving to Greece, so I didn't have to worry about paying rent in Finland as well. 


I’m not gonna lie – the process wasn’t easy. It is a lot of emails back and forth and a million things to take care of. You face difficulties and you get frustrated. There is also a lot of waiting. But this is only my experience – someone else has maybe had it easier. I still believe it is going to be worth it!

I will update you on my first days in Athens very soon!

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti